Friday, March 12, 2010

A couple of days ago a boy gave me a present. In the middle of him asking me for candy, I did what I have started to do a lot, ask for something too- he had probably half a deck of cards in his hands. He handed them over and I put them away like I was going to keep them. Being asked fifty times a day for different items, I have looked for different ways to show that just because I am here doesn't mean I need to give you something. So I thought I would hold on to the cards for a minute and see what he did. We talked and played some more, and as I started to leave I remembered the cards and tried to call him over to me to give them back. He called back for me to keep them, it was a present!!! Now I hope you can get the picture of this kid. I can always recognize him, one because I know his face and two because I have only seen him in one shirt the whole time I have been here. He never has on pants or underwear, not sure exactly where he lives but I am sure it is one of the mud/straw huts nearby. I thanked him profusely and left for the day. Then either the next day or the day after that he runs up to me and hands me five goudes- tells me its a present for me! Shortly after I find out he is the older brother of one of my students. One of my students who I am really concerned about- she came to school with a big gash on the top of her head. Turns out her mom had thrown something at her head and caused this injury. Then I found out after that that this mom dances for joy at the death of Christ, at least that is how they described her "faith" So I start getting all this information and all the more it just melts my heart that here this little boy is- with the very little that he has and he is willing to share with me. He is willing to give it away to someone that he believes is rich. It is just so humbling and beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment