Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Communion

I don't think I have ever had a more beautiful communion than I did yesterday in the salt flats of Jubilee. It all started cause I had to pee. Very holy right? Seriously though, I was going out to my spot behind the piles of dirt when I saw that the 20 men working on the new school were all out there. So I start to do an about face and find somewhere else to go when Jackieby yells to me- li bon, ou Ayisyen, ou ka fe- its good, you are Haitian, you can go there! So I head back there and do my thing, and they just keep on working- so now I believe I am officially Haitian! Anyway, I start to walk back and these guys are going at this work, digging for these huge foundations in the heat of the day when I realize they probably aren't drinking any water. So I get some money to Jackieby so he can get some water for everyone and after that just kind of forgot about it. A while later someone calls me and says someone needs me outside. So I head out to where they are working and Jackieby asks me if I like juice and hands me a bowl and tells me its for me. And then he gives me this piece of bread and tells me that he had enough for everyone to get some. So here I am standing with all these men who are working so hard and they ask me to come and share in this bread and juice as they tell me - this will help us work hard now for you. I don't have the words to really describe that moment, but I can tell you it was one of the most amazing moments I have had in Haiti. Then the kids came around and they start sharing with all the kids they could. This is what we were created for- community within the body. Casey challenged me one time, talking about what communion could really be like compared to how we do it now, and now I know. And it is beautiful.

1 comment: