Saturday, July 27, 2013

What I've been putting off feeling

In the midst of all this beauty God has been showing me over the last couple of weeks, all the favor and gifts, especially with dealing with trying to get Youv a visa, there have been two situations that I left off of these posts, probably because I wanted to focus on the good. I wanted to stay in the state of thankfulness that He is showing me I need to be in. And even though there are things to be thankful for within these two situations, I needed some time I guess before I could really think about them. And since my heart has already been broken this morning by a friend of mine, I might as well face the other hard things that I have seen recently. I have never understood how people could hurt children. I can't wrap my brain around the fact that there are people who are willing to purposely bring harm to a child. And even more so when it is the parent of a child. How they could create a little person and then refuse to protect them. When I went to the social services the other day in Port, a nurse walked in with a child who may have been 3 years old. He had some sort of handicap, although I don't know specifically what it was. On top of that he looked very sick. I rubbed his little leg, offering the little comfort I could, and the man I was with took my hand away and shook his head. As they laid him on the floor I asked about him. They said he had been abandoned the day before. Just left to die. Someone had taken him to the hospital and he had some sort of surgery on the left side of his belly. I looked down at him and his breathing looked like the breathing that comes with death. So I asked them, were they just laying him there to let him die? They said no, that they were taking him back to the hospital. They are the people responsible for children's welfare, so I had to trust that they would do the best they could for him. But there was one thing that I just couldn't get over as I left that office. I knew he was going to die but I wished so badly that someone in that office would have just held him. People die, even children die, but they should die feeling loved by at least someone, not rejected by everyone. I hope he knows that I loved him. For that brief moment that I saw him, I hope he felt my love for him. When I went back to the office a few days later I asked about him and they told me that he had died. I am glad he is in heaven now, KNOWING that he is loved. Depending on how you look at things, the second situation has a happier ending, although the fact that it even happened is enough to wreck you, or me anyway. A father to one of our students found a newborn baby abandoned in the salt flats near the ocean. He said the baby was covered in mosquitoes and had probably been there all morning. He found him around 1 in the afternoon. He took him to the hospital where they cut his umbilical cord and possibly gave him some meds. He sent someone to me to see if I had any ideas about what to do next because they gave the baby back to him. I was going to social services in Gonaives that night so I said I would ask them about it. When I went to see the baby he looked so good, so much better than I was afraid he would look. The man who found him, Mr. Nicola, had gotten another new mother to watch him and breastfeed him. We talked with the family about what we should do, I took him up to Cody to see what we thought should happen. Cody had gathered up some formula to either give to the family or to take the baby and watch him until we took him to social services if we thought his life was in danger. But we decided that the baby would be in good hands with the family so we sent them back home with the formula. The next day I talked to Jake with Coreluv if he thought they could take the baby. So we went and talked to the family and they had gone and made a paper letting know the authorities what had happened. And the judge had named the baby Ti Moyiz (Moses). So we talked with the family and decided the best thing for the child was to go to the orphanage with coreluv. They had to wait until the paperwork was worked out, but on Tuesday Ti Moyiz moved to his new home with coreluv. I talked with Cody about it again, and she was telling me about how after the baby left that night she was praying that she did the right thing, asking God to bring him back if she was supposed to keep him there, and that night God had told her that the baby's name was Moses. When she told me I assumed she already knew about the judge naming him, but she didn't. So we both sat back in awe about how God was showing us that He hadn't abandoned this child. That He was still in this. So like I said, I know in all situations He is at work, doesn't mean they don't hurt and that really bad things don't happen, but that He really is carrying us through the worst parts.

2 comments:

  1. God bless baby Moses! I saw his picture on Coreluv's page. Handsome lil thing. Who knows what God accomplished with that one touch from you Lala. The woman with an issue of blood in the bible knew the power of one touch...and I suspect that God did much more than you realize with that simple loving gesture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bener told me that when you touched the child he realized how much you loved children and Haiti and how special you are. In that moment you were shining with the Light of Jesus for all to see.

    ReplyDelete