Saturday, January 30, 2010

Honestly I am almost afraid to write. Which is weird because I’m not afraid of an earthquake, I am not afraid of gunshots or getting in the middle of people’s panic, but I am afraid to write and process this. There is so much hurt, and so much pain, and even in the middle of it I feel that I am forcing myself to keep my heart at a safe distance. Every now and then something, or someone pierces through but for the most part I am afraid to let myself really feel all that is here because I am afraid that I can’t bear it. Maybe this is the way God is protecting me, or maybe it is wrong that I am so shut off. But what I do know is that I am blessed to be here and be a part of the amazing things that are happening here now.

When I was in Bohoc a blanc chased a man down the road to bring him back to show me the tiny baby in his arms. His name is Judson and he is eleven months old. But he also weighed eleven pounds. They brought him because he had a cough and was looking worse and worse. I tried to get information from the man but it turned out he was the grandfather and he had just received his daughter and this baby from Port au Prince into his home. She had been injured in the earthquake but the baby had not, so we went to her house to find out more about Judson. This little baby had been living in the hospital for three months because the mother got sick and her milk stopped. So when the earthquake hit she got him and brought him to bohoc. We took him back to HAFF(Haitian American Friendship Foundation) and fed him milk with sugar--that’s how he likes it! and something along the lines of grits, I don’t remember the name. I held him and rocked him and before long he had perked right up! He was not as lethargic and was checking out everything! When we took him back to his house we gave instructions along with food to make sure they worked on re-hydrating and feeding him properly. We also talked to them about the importance of just loving on him and rocking him. The family was very excited to play a part in taking care of this baby. Even still, handing him back and walking away was one of the toughest things I had to do. But of course it brought about even more revelation about how God is working through this. If that baby had continued to live in that hospital, he would have likely died of malnourishment. But because of this earthquake, that baby got to a place with family who will love and hold him, and resources right down the road which will make sure he has food and milk. God is showing us daily that He truly brings beauty for ashes.

No comments:

Post a Comment