Saturday, January 30, 2010

the other side

It is very strange being on the other end of need. I have been pretty disconnected from my family and friends in the states since I have been here. So I looked forward to the airport trip where they said I would have internet access to let everyone know what is going on. Granted this is almost non-comparable because this is so trivial compared to food and water, but being on the asking side- having to endure being turned down by people that have the resources to share with me what I need, but unwilling to do so-- whether for legitimate reasons or not, is a painful thing. So here I am, sitting here, unable to do the very thing I came to this airport for, trying not to resent the people who will not give me the security code so I can send word to my family. It brings a whole new revelation to me about the people I have to turn away because I don’t have something or I don’t know if it should go to them. Whether their needs are legitimate or not, what that must feel like to have that rejection, and what that says to them about the Jesus I represent. I don’t know exactly what to do with that information, but there is probably something to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment