Thursday, February 18, 2010

Teaching in Haiti

I have had the pleasure of completing my first week of teaching in Jubilee!! It is a beautiful, incredible, difficult, and exciting experience to teach here. Although teaching again makes me miss all my kids at Skipstone!! It is amazing how God has used that time in my life to prepare me for this time. I recently found out that the Skipstone kids are hearing about what I put on here. It is very exciting to know that you guys are hearing about what is happening in this place. I hope you all know that you have a special place in my heart and that I love you all very much!!

Teaching here has different challenges and different rewards.
I found out the hard way that you have to close EVERYTHING in between use or you have a nice thick layer of dust over all of your materials!
The science shack now feels like a teaching palace compared to the salt flats of Jubilee!
The “playground”/bathroom area is a nightmare for those who know the fecal-oral route of certain disease processes.
At around one o’clock each day the wind starts up, sometimes taking your color chart so far away that a student from the morning class returns with it long after school is over.
Trying to explain the concept of time --even without a language barrier is quite an adventure, so add in the Creole/English divide. . .

The challenges are welcomed though, because the rewards are so beautiful!!- Watching Lorinsena’s eyes light up when she finally remembers what letters are in her name! Seeing Maniackson understand the game of memory! Getting Shelove to finally sit down long enough to practice writing the number 8! Watching Claudiana always know the right answer!! And watching Jamesly, and his toothless grin, as he takes so much care in writing his name perfectly! There are so many more, the day is filled with them! I just keep seeing a generation rising up filled with people who will be able to stand up for their rights because they will have the knowledge to do so!

1 comment:

  1. love it, love it. love. it. so sorry i missed your call!!! rale'm anko vit vit!!!

    ReplyDelete